Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Transcience

1st Dec 2006

Anyway, I've been here 19 days now and so much has happened already! I don't know how I'm gonna bring all you guys up to speed. I guess I'll just start blogging from today and fit in bits and peices of the previous 19 days as I go along. Met up with a friend who'd been here for the past 6 months or so (and is therfore well into the clubbing scene) last night and was taken to an underground-hole-in-the-wall joint that played rocking music and sold S$2 bottles of beer. It was heaven. There was a nice mix of locals and lao wai's and had none of the flashy I'm-here-to-see-and-be-seen feel about the place. People were friendly and pretty easy to get along with. But great as that may be, I realise that you're more often than not gonna end up with more acquaintances than you would friends. To many, myself included, the 18.7 million population cosmoliton city is one of THE places to be. It's opening up, foreign investment is flooding in and everyone wants a piece of the action; from the CEOs with big fat expat packages, to those who come with nothing but a suitcase of clothes, and a tote-bag full of dreams. They are in very different fields with one thing in common - most don't stay for long. People come people go. You meet someone in a bar one day and next week he's left the country for good. It's a tough place for the heart. But, I'm not gonna let that bug me for now. There's still so much to see and explore, many people to meet. So gonna enjoy it while I can. ;)

No comments: