Monday, October 31, 2005

OCD?

I realise that I have an obsession with ordering and categorising, to the point that I would put other more important tasks on hold until I've finished with whatever irrelevant project I've decided to embark upon. Someone once likened me to a mild version of Monica Gellar. Here are a few examples:

1. I'm particularly picky about how the cutlery are placed in the little 2 compartment holder I have (whatever the hell it's called) to dry after they're washed. Forks and spoons HAVE to go into the first compartment, stems down so you'll know which is which, and chopsticks and knives MUST go into the second compartment, blades down (for safety purposes of course). It bugs me when I see them placed otherwise. Plates have to be ordered from the biggest at the back to the smallest. I don't care about bowls and cups :p

2. Laundry when hung out to dry, have to be hung in order of length. Doesn't matter in which direction, as long as they're in order. Same goes for the clothes in my closet.

3. Clothes are grouped according to: 'Dresses' - Short / long; 'Skirts' - Short / long; 'Trousers' - casual / formal / semi-formal; 'Shorts' - for Home / for going out; 'Tops' - Casual / Formal / Semi-formal; 'T-shirts' - for Home / for going out, 'Sleepwear' - cotton / others; 'Socks, swimwear and sportswear go together. I don't care about my shoes.

4. MP3s are categorised into folders and sub-folders, each named as such:

Albums:
Artist - Album name - Track no. - Title of song


Soundtracks:
Name of Soundtrack - Track no. - Title of song - Artist

(If album consists of more than 1 CD, then CD number is added after Album name or Name of Soundtrack.)

5. I don't own a CD rack so right now my CDs are stacked on top of my player but it's an eye-sore for me. Now if I DID have a rack, they'd be arranged according to genre and then within the genres, alphabetically.


6. Books - Arranged according to height. Arranging them in any other way would just make it appear too hapharzard and hence become visually distracting to me.


There are porbably a million other things which I'm anal about but these are the most common and the ones I'm aware of :p With that said, I'm terrible when it comes to organising my thoughts onto paper or when trying to make a point... go figure

3 comments:

Hiddenson said...

Hahaha!

1- you beat me. I used to be a perfectionist, now I'm just a slacker
2- mental note to self: remember the cutlery order while doing the dishes during our stay
3- what about more order in your blog? Oh right... written content. I just posted an entry to help you arrange your thoughts :)

The CellMate said...

I wouldn't say I'm a perfectionist... more like selectively anal.
When were you at your worst?

pat said...

i've always thought that my ways are signs of ocd but you are way on top of the ocd-mountain. and that's saying something. i think.