Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Day 3 - Hanoi


Hah!! Decided to extend my stay! I've come all this way the least I could do is stay till the very last possible minute. Crashed at G's place which he shares with 3 girls, for the remainder of my stay. Was promised 'bun cha' (rice noodles with grilled meat and fresh vegetables), but silly me took my Larium on an empty stomach and nearly passed out while on the bike :s Since too shaky to get far, settled for more pho a few steps away from where we'd stopped. Felt better after getting food down. Stopped for fruit just in case, and was chided by a wizened old lady for showing too much skin (my top had ridden up about an inch above my trousers). She stood staring from a distance before deciding that this was something she'll have to put a stop to. So she shuffled over and started pointing to my belly, all the while mumbling something in Vietnamese. Seeing the confusion on my face, she huffily tugged on the hem of my top till I was 'decent'. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to feel chastised of amused. Whatever it is, from that point on, I was constantly checking on my state of dress (or undress as some were inclined to think). :p I wasn't exactly flashing myself. I'd read that the Vietnamese were a little conservative so I'd taken care to wear long trousers and selveless tops (I just oculdn't bring myself to put on one with sleeves! It was so hot!) and avoided strappy stuff. Bleh!

*A side note on dressing: The Vietnamese girls are covered from head to toe whenever they're out! Long trousers, long sleeved tops, a mask, (esp. when they're on a bike), a hat and sunglasses (these are optional). I know that the main reason is to protect their skin from the sun, Lord forbid they get a tan... but it sure doesn't help put my mind at ease when all I want to do is prance around in shorts!*


Went to West Lake and took a stroll. Lots of couples here as well enjoying the breeze, while watching local fishermen cast their lines. Ont he other side of the road is Truc Bach Lake, smaller but just as pretty. Visited the Tran Quoc Pagoda on West Lake.




Decided to take it easy today. Wasn't feeling 100%. Stayed at home for the rest of the day and watched Seinfeld instead (Yes I know... the worst thing to do while on holiday!) Passed up the iniviation to join the rest of the house for dog meat dinner. Don't get me wrong. I'm all up for trying new stuff, as long as it's not a pet. It's probably also coz I'd heard that dogs can smell that you'd eaten one of their kind and will not be at all friendly to you in future. Not sure how far that's true but I'm not taking any chances.

Early night. How boring of me!!!

No comments: