Thursday, October 05, 2006

A Quiet Night Out...


After a lovely picnic at the Botanic Gardens with students and families, I hopped onto the back of L's new bike and we sped off to Marina South for some Steamboat YUMMY!!! Wasn't very hungry when we arrived (had too much picnic food) so decided to hit the arcade for awhile and spent $12 ( we exercised a fair bit of restraint) on Daytona and Time Crisis III. Didn't get very far with the latter. So crossed over to the restaurant to bag ourselves a table and get cooking... was looking forward to the seafood! Realised that they were giving out coupons for 'live' prawns and crabs!!! Arrrghhhh!! Couldn't find 'non-live' ones anywhere! Big craving for prawns though. :(

So after ALOT of deliberation, figured I'd give live prawns a go. Guy at the tank scooped up a netfull, dunked them into a second tank (probably with a different water salinity or something) to stun them a little, plonked them into a plastic container and slammed on the lid (not before 1 plucky little one attempted a last minute dive out for freedom and ended up wriggling on the floor). Holding the container at arms-length, (i dunno why, I'm never usually squeamish about stuff in general), I placed it on the table and tried to figure out how I'm gonna cook the damn things. Half of me was going "YAY PRAWNS!!!" and the other half was calling me a cold blooded murderer :( L wasn't too keen on being an accomplice and preferred to just sit there and throw me alternating looks of amusement and grimaces. In the end, I steeled my nerves, chanted 'I'm sorry, I'm sorry' like a mantra and tipped them into the boiling water. It took me a good while to eat them after they were cooked. BAH!! Last time I'm gonna cook anything that's still alive!!

And if dinner was dramatic enough, we decided to
ride out to Changi Airport to watch the planes take off, and subsequently got ourselves held up by the police and our ids checked. Apparently, as a security measure, the public aren't allowed to stop anywhere along the perimeter of the airport. Trust me not to know that. BLEH! L. was pretty freaked since the poor boy had just upgraded his bike license last week. *grin* So much for a quiet night out...

No comments: