Friday, October 13, 2006

Goodbye Vietnam!


Coffee with G & XHad dinner with X, a Vietnamese friend of a friend of my mum's whom she put me in touch with. Took me to a lovely restaurant for seafood Vietnamese style. Unfortunately for some reason they didn't have the stuff I was looking forward to trying, like tortoise and something else (can't remember). I'd come down with an annoying cough and my nose was stuffy so didn't have the energy to stay out late. X was a little disappointed especially since he thought we could stay out for a night of karaoke. Head started pounding after some time too. Still managed to go for after dinner coffee. A big mistake though. I forgot that since I'm not a coffee drinker, the caffeine usually hits me pretty hard. True enough, I didn't sleep a wink last night. Probably drifted off due to sheer exhaustion at 0500hrs and alarm went off at 0630hrs. Had to call for airport taxi at 0730hrs. Flight scheduled for 1030hrs. Got to airport only to find out that flight was postponed till 1350hrs. ARRRGHHHH!!!! Crashed out on airport chairs.

I love Hanoi, including the crazy traffic and incessant honking. It just grows on you. The back-to-basics way of life was a welcome change from the bustling city of Singapore and I enjoyed the idea of getting around on 2 wheels, of being able to sit by the road and enjoy a steaming bowl of pho, and people watch. Glad I decided to go ahead with the trip. It was a great taster of Vietnam and I'm definitely looking forward to my next proper trip. Though I think I'd prefer to go with a friend. I don't think I'll be able to enjoy the place half as much if I didn't have someone I could talk with and make observations.

Goodbye Vietnam, until me meet again!


2 comments:

nana said...

sounds like you had an amazing time in vietnam. wish i could have gone!!

btw. why did you call your mom's friend 'X'?? thought that was strange. :)

The CellMate said...

Because his name begins with the letter X!