Saturday, July 08, 2006

Football Fever!

Every 2 years, this gal becomes obsessed with football, a sport, I admit I don't follow on a regular basis. Despite being told once before, I've forgotten what a Champion's League is and what the Confederations Cup is... But the World Cup and the Euro Cup? Ahhhh.. those two I'm familiar with. And my support was with the Germans, Portugese and Spaniards, in that order. Yes, I know... it doesn't seem like I'm very sincere in my backing of these teams, since according to a male friend, I'm not a proper fan unless I pledge allegiance to ONLY one team. Well, sorry, I like all 3 teams, and I have my own reasons for each (No, none of them involve the physical attributes of the players! Though I DO find Ballack quite dishy ;))



How would a fan support her team? By buying a matching pair of shorts and sports top in the country's colours of course!



And everyone knows you can't have a new set of clothes without matching footwear! Then you might as well throw in a pedicure while you're at it just to bring out the colour of the sandals...

My only regret was not being able to get the track top... sigh... Otherwise my attire would've been complete...

Anyway, back to my story... I have also been thought of rather lowly due to my somewhat minimal knowledge of football history, and thus not worthy of any opinions I may have on any of the matches. While most of my male friends were happy to have a 'convert' on board, cheering and guzzling bottles of beer alongside them, there were the odd one or two who felt otherwise. To them I was just another female 'groupie' jumping on the bandwagon JUST BECAUSE everyone else was doing it... hmmmmph... how dare they! Say what they want, but at the end of the day, I suspect that they're feeling threatened that females are starting to take a genuine interest in the sport that was once enjoyed and obsessed upon exclusively by the boys. Football season gave husbands and boyfriends THE reason to hang out at bars till the wee hours of the morning (depending on where you are) and come home roaring drunk... After all IT'S THE WORLD CUP!! I guess it's hard to accept the fact that your other half either has MORE fun than you, or gets chatted up by other football fanatics. Well, sorry boys, us girls have just as much right to shout obscenities at 30" flat screens and sport the corresponding colours of our favourite team as you do, so deal with it!

Another observation I made during Football season, is the fact that all sense of propriety and civility goes out the window when you have a group of buddies cheering for opposing teams. The cussing that was flying around was colourful and creative and most totally uncalled for at times. Oh, did I mention that these insults were aimed at one another! It's amazing how incredibly childish and petty people can become! I was at the receiving end of one such string of verbal abuse, when England lost to Portugal. I'm still not speaking to him... What ever happened to good fun and sportsmanship??

The Over-Zealous Supporters a.k.a 'the Arrogant Bastards' is what a female friend uses for annoying, over-the-top supporters who bitch about you in French just because you're supporting Brazil... Oh my God!! People, grow up!? You don't see me going off the deep end just because someone scored against Germany!

Anyway, on to happier moments...



At Table 108 where we spent quite a few nights (and money) watching the matches.


This cutie sure knows which team to back! Very proud of him! must congratulate his mother...



Portugal - England / France - Brazil...


All I can say is, I had a blast hanging out with my buds and contributing to the spirit of the World Cup, but I'm just glad it's over and people can go back to being sane again!!! Thank god it's once every 4 years... But then again, the Euro Cup is coming up... :s

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

viva la france. they did one thing right. losing the game.

The CellMate said...

Tsk tsk tsk .... naughty Chewy