Saturday, September 23, 2006

Pre-Vietnam


This whole Vietnam business came about by pure accident. I'd won travel vouchers for a tour package at my company DnD last month and gave them to parents to use as they pleased. (I suggested Vietnam). They were quite happy until they realised that it was a huge hassle since the flight departs from Singapore (they're in KL). So I was left with the vouchers. Then it hit me... why don't I go instead!? DUH! I still find it hard to believe that despite all my eagerness to travel I have yet to set foot in any country North of Malaysia. So managed to entice a compadre to split $500 worth of travel vouchers and backpack (I know it seems a little odd - travel vouchers and backpacking, but I have a plan) through the country that brought us the oh-so exquisite 'ao dai' and 'Pho'. We plan to fly on the 7th of October which really doesn't leave us much time to prepare. And considering the fact that I don't have a backpack, and neither do I have trekking shoes, 2 weeks suddenly seems really really short.

Mu initial plan was to just buy a 3D / 2N free-and-easy package (hence utilising my vouchers) but the more I thought about it and the more I read I knew I'd regret not staying longer. L. will have to be back in Singapore by Tues, and C & F want to stay for a max of 1 week. Still not enough for me. Am thus contemplating on carrying on as far South as I can (dare) on my own. Just worried that I wouldn't be prepared enough. BUT IT'S SO EXCITING!

Stumbled upon a Vietnam based tour company that sets up short guided tours around Vietnam, guaranteeing visits to non-touristy sites and adventure trips like trekking and kayaking and homestays with the highland tribes. My god they look so fun! I want to do them all!!! I'm really looking forward to going up to Sapa and doing the whole homestay bit and putting up on a boat as we cruise Halong Bay, not to mention all the kayaking that I can do. Also, am challenged to renting a scooter and ride around Hanoi. I'm so up for it man! sigh... I can't wait!!!


No comments: