Thursday, August 31, 2006

Bon Voyage, Alex!


I’ve forged an unlikely friendship with an 18 yr-old English boy, Alex. At 6’ 3”, a red mop of hair that is his crowning glory, a whole load of freckles, and the ability to talk the ear off a donkey, he is one helluva Energizer Bunny. We met at a time when I desperately needed to feel like a kid again and he sure as hell drew that silliness and whatever little spontaneity I had, out.

*We walked from one end of Orchard Road to the other in the rain with nothing but a teeny-tiny umbrella for protection. Ordinarily, I’d be bitching about the rain and jumping into the first taxi I saw, but today I just couldn’t stop laughing as we walked into huge puddles and got wetter and wetter until we were hopelessly soaked and soggy.*

Unfortunately he leaves for England tonight to begin university, and train with the Royal Air Force. Sigh… There goes my entertainment. So to celebrate his last night in sunny (now rainy) Singapore, we went to the Ministry of Sound.

Now that is one place a girl above the age of 25 should NEVER go to on a Wednesday night! Yes, even if it IS Ladies Nite (ironic huh...) unless you’re with friends your age and you are just CRAZY about the music they play there. I was surrounded by people 8 to 10 years my junior! I had absolutely nothing in common with them and the worst part is, you’re a target for testosterone pumped 16 year-olds who want to practice their pickup lines! One particular fellow (who only came up to my nose) kept staring at me through at least 5 songs with a huge grin plastered on his face and the minute Alex turned away he literally SWOOPED in, looking all pleased with himself. I was so taken aback I was momentarily at a loss for words. Nevertheless, not wanting to be impolite or appear haughty, I ‘admitted’ him into my dance space. Then at the end of the song, he asked if he could buy me a drink. I wanted to laugh, I swear! I could just picture myself standing at the bar trying to make small talk with him while he tried to impress me by… I dunno… whatever teenage boys do to impress teenage girls. So I simply told him that I didn’t drink and before he could get over his confusion as to why anyone in their right mind would not want to indulge in copious amounts of alcohol, I told him to go ahead and enjoy his drink, turned him around a nudged him in the direction of the bar. Alex was just beside himself with laughter… The ass!

Anyway, back to the point of this post... I’m gonna miss that freckled-face giant. Good luck in Birmingham, dude!

The Big Friendly GiantShow me those muscles!



No comments: