Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Prissie the Groupie


* Warning: This post contains excessive gushings of a totally smitten fan.*



Ok as mentioned in my previous post, Radio Mundial is THE hottest band I've come
across recently. So, my MAIN AIM that last night of WOMAD was to get the autographs of all 5 memebers of the band. AND they had to sign on whatever I was wearing. (Only coz it's less difficult to misplace comapred to a piece of paper, and it's more interesting than getting them to sign on the CD... Honest! ;)) So, armed with 3 marker pens, I left most of my dignity at home and headed for WOMAD.

Jean playing the cuatroSeriously, you can't get a better combination in a band... sizzling Latin music and scrumilicious vocalists... Especially when Jean, riffs away on the cuatro in nothing but fitted jeans, a wifebeater and his cowboy hat *SWOOOOOOOOOOON*

(Note: Their photos on the net don't do them ANY justice whatsoever!)

I'm not very proud of it, but I allowed myself to be, as C. has labeled me, a groupie... just for a night. And be a groupie I did, from deliberately getting mehendi done on
my hand just so I could catch a glimpse of Jean as he browsed through some carpets at one of the other stalls, to pushing my way right to the front of the stage and screaming in response to every word that left their lips, and reaching up to shake Richard's hand as he leaned into the crowd.

Anyway, back to my quest for their signatures... I managed to garner 3 of them by hanging around the stage after their first performance, and the final 2 after the WOMAD finale, by casually 'passing by' the holding area and 'falling' into aimless chit-chat with one of them. And then, who should come by, but Jean (who recognised me from earlier as 'the girl with the shirt' *rolling my eyes*)... but I got weak all the same. Then he goes on to invite me to the after-party and I was reduced to a puddle. Minutes later, I found myself being snuck into the party, since it was apparently only meant for artists and staff, and had the most amazing time! There were huge coolers of alcoohol and trays of food, none of which I touched, coz I was too busy dancing!

But all good things have to come to and end, and after a couple of hours or less, I reluctantly took my leave and turned down an invitation to join them sight-seeing the next day. It was obvious he was just being polite... the dude doesn't even know my name! :p Sigh... it was a fantastic night, but like I'd promised myself earlier, my groupie status will begin and end at Fort Canning Park. Oh well, another story to tell my grandchildren... I danced and chatted with Jean Shepard. And even though he's probably forgotten that he ever met me by now, it's an experience I'll always remember...

*I am now back to my sensible self but it took me 2 whole days to stop grinning*


I love this shot!RadioMundialEncore

Bassist Brian and IRichard and I


I'm never washing this!
*mouseover the photos for descriptions*


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU GROUPIE YOU!! haha.. even though i don't know who they are,
but omg you got to rub more than shoulders with them.

The CellMate said...

I knoooooooooooooow! I was a shameless hussy!! But it was worth it! HAHHAHAHAHA